Monday, November 2, 2009

Temuramah Ferry Bagus dalam The Bali Times



One Day – Syazariah Majidi          December 15, 2006
Syazariah Majidi is a producer with state-run Radio Televisyen Malaysia (RTM) and currently focuses on women’s affairs. The 36-year-old mother of three boys and a girl with her husband Rosli Shamsuddin lives in Kuala Lumpur and was on holiday in Bali, where she shared her day with Bali Times contributor Bagus Ferriyanto.
At 6am I wake the children up and get them ready for school. And I also get my husband moving. He works for a telecommunications company and I make sure he has all the paperwork he needs for the day in his bag, as well as organizing what he’s going to wear. I rarely have breakfast with him, because there isn’t enough time. To start the day I like to have either nasi goreng (fried rice) or canai (Indian bread).
At 7:30am we’re out the door. Rosli drives me to the office, and my sister takes the children to school. Because of the traffic in Kuala Lumpur, it takes about an hour to get to work; on good days, it takes around 20 minutes.
It’s 12 years now that I’ve been working as a TV producer. At university I majored in television production, and the job I have is one I had always wanted, so I guess I’m lucky. Right now I’m producing a woman’s magazine program called Femme – all about women, of course. It’s a half-hour program and airs on Saturday mornings at 11am. We cover topics such as how it’s possible for a woman to be as successful as a man, and we interview businesswomen to get their stories. The aim of the program is to encourage and motivate women to be successful.
It’s up to me to make sure everything runs smoothly when we’re on the road – checking we have the right equipment, transportation, location, makeup and wardrobe – and I also research who we’re going to interview and make appointments. One of my biggest responsibilities as a producer, of course, is the budget and to ensure we stay within it. We shoot two days a week; the rest of the week is given over to editing, dubbing and script writing.
For lunch, whether it’s on location or at the office with colleagues, I like to have spicy foods or soup, and afterwards it’s straight back to work.
Once when we were in the field, about 600 kilometres outside Kuala Lumpur, we had everything set up, including an interview, but when the cameraman started filming he discovered the camera was broken and there was nothing that could be done to fix it. So the entire shoot was cancelled and everyone was upset, including the interviewee. We had driven all that way for nothing. Sometimes this is a tough job, though, because you’re always running out of time because of deadlines.
Before I did this I was a producer on other shows – agriculture, kids, travel and live shows. If I had a choice I’d be the producer of a travel program – and maybe some day again, as all the producers at RTM are rotated every two years.
I finish work at 5pm but have to wait an hour and a half until Rosli is finished, as he picks me up. We get home around 7:30pm. At night I watch some cartoons with the kids on TV and check their schoolwork. At weekends we like to go shopping together.
Dinner is around 8pm and we usually have something like chicken and soup, as that’s what the kids like.
I love being in Bali. The Balinese are friendly and respectful and have such a strong religious belief. The island is beautiful: you never see sights and views like this in Malaysia – the blue sky alone is so different.
By 11pm, I’m in bed, reading. I have a dream: that one day I’ll be able to build a house in Balinese style and also that I can come back here and make a program about the emancipation of the Balinese women.

Midsection liftout:
You never see sights and views like this in Malaysia.

Filed under: One Day
Comments are closed.
WeatherDenpasar, Bali, Indonesia
Nov 2,09, 2:12 pm
Partly sunny
31°Creal feel: 38°C
sunrise: 5:50
sunset: 18:15Forecast Nov 2,09
day
Partly sunny with showers
31°Cnight
Clear
24°C
SponsorsThe Bali Times on Facebook







Copyright © 2009 The Bali Times - All Rights Reserved, PT. Lestari Kala Media
Jl. Oberoi, Seminyak, Bali, Indonesia
Jl. Nakula, 99X Legian, Bali
Tel: 0361 735765/8475881
Fax: 0361 739407.

No comments:

Post a Comment